Nothing is among the first Android OEMs that shipped the Android 14 update to its devices. After rolling out the software update to the 2nd generation Nothing Phone (2) (review) in December last year, the company has released a similar stable Android 14 build for the original Phone (1) via Nothing OS 2.5.2.
As confirmed by the startup company in a forum, the update will be released in a staggered manner and not all regional models of the Phone (1) will receive the update simultaneously. However, all Phone (1) users should receive the update in the coming weeks.
While you should be automatically notified when Nothing OS 2.5.2 is available, you can also manually check for the availability of the update. You can head to your phone’s settings and navigate to System > System update. From there, you can download and install the update if it is available on your handset.
What’s new in Nothing OS 2.5.2 update for the Nothing Phone (1)
The latest firmware adds numerous new features and vital changes, such as enhancements to the Glyph interface, better customizations for the home screen and lock screen, more stable performance, and improved camera quality, among others.
We’ve summarized the Nothing OS 2.5.2 changelog below, but you can also check Nothing’s community website for the complete list.
Customization and apps
- Updated edit screen with a new layout for controls and options when customizing the home screen or lock screen.
- New wallpaper selections that add solid color options.
- A new monochrome theme.
- New widgets for pedometer, media player, and screen time.
- A better Weather app with enhanced weather alerts.
- Added access to Glyph interface’s music visualization section.
- Improved animation for flip to glyph gesture and synchronization with the device’s audio.
- A new glyph animation when using NFC to perform a transaction.
Quick settings and controls
- Added support for switching of ring modes or profiles in the drop-down or quick settings panel.
- Added ability to set or change network in the drop-down or quick settings panel.
- The Quick Settings panel has been redesigned.
- Separately customize the ringtone and notification sound level in the volume control interface.
- The preview of previous screenshots is automatically hidden when taking a continuous screenshot.
Elsewhere, in-system improvements were mentioned, including the new operating system. For instance, Nothing revealed the user experience should be more fluid and smoother while the system should be more stable. There is also a promise of better battery life and image processing with this update.
Are you rocking a Nothing Phone (1)? Have you received the Android 14 update yet? Share your experience with us in the comments.